2018 sees the re-launch of the Alchemy Press Book Of… anthologies with a brand new title: HORRORS, edited by Peter Coleborn and Jan Edwards. We are looking for horror stories … but tales that can be described as “weird”, “strange”, “amazing” and “peculiar”: stories that would have found a home in Weird Tales, Unknown Worlds, Fantastic and Fantasy Tales among other illustrious publications.
Your story can be set in almost any era, any place but glimpse at and pervert the usual perceptions of reality – and unreality. We do not want stories that deal with common horror tropes without stretching boundaries. Avoid zombies unless they are tackled in an unexpected and strange fashion. No urban romance – you know, heroine falling for a vampire and so forth. Nor do we want to see religious tracts, porn, and we really, really do not want gross-out horror tales.
Please send your stories in a standard manuscript format (3,000-6,000 words [flexible – contact us before submitting]) to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrive by 31 January 2018 (contact us if an extension is required).
Payment: 0.5p a word (£20 for 4,000 words, £30 for 6,000 words), plus a copy of the book and royalties. The anthology will be in print for a maximum of five years and then the book will become OOP.
If you are interested put on your story-thinking hat now. Any questions please get back to us at the above email address or use this contact form.
- We accept stories from anywhere in the world (the galaxy, even) if written in English
- We only accept email submissions
- We are looking for new stories although reprints may be considered
- Please present your manuscript as a Word document (or RTF or similar) using standard formatting (double spacing, etc).
- And you must include your name and contact email on the manuscript itself.