Exciting news: The Alchemy Press has been short-listed for the British Fantasy Awards in three categories:
- Short Story: “Family Business” by Adrian Tchaikovsky from The Alchemy Press Book of Urban Mythic, edited by Jan Edwards and Jenny Barber
- Non-fiction: Doors to Elsewhere by Mike Barrett
- And finally, the press itself is nominated for the Best Small Press Award.
There is stiff opposition in all categories (you can read the entire list of nominations on the British Fantasy Society website); nevertheless, we are extremely pleased to be in such august company. The awards will be announced at this year’s FantasyCon, held in the historic and haunted city of York.
Our latest publication is Touchstones: Essays of the Fantastic by John Howard. This is a companion volume to Mike Barrett’s Doors to Elsewhere, collecting twenty-two of John’s articles on important novels and stories, from Fritz Leiber to Karl Edward Wagner. As with all our paperback editions the book is available from various online dealers including Amazon and The Book Depository. In fact, if you wish to consider using this site for Alchemy Press books take a look at this post, listing links to our titles available from The Book Depository.
What is on the horizon? We have three anthologies scheduled for launch at FantasyCon:
- The Alchemy Press Book of Pulp Heroes 3, edited by Mike Chinn
- The Alchemy Press Book of Urban Mythic 2, edited by Jan Edwards and Jenny Barber
- Kneeling in the Silver Light – Stories from the Great War, edited by Dean M Drinkel
Jan and Jenny have already made their selection (see here for the ToC). Editors Mike and Dean are still busy making the final line-ups.
- Nick Nightmare Investigates by Adrian Cole collects new and reprint stories that feature his PI of all things spooky.
This book will be available in two editions, the regular paperback and a very limited hardcover. This edition features additional material and will be signed by Adrian, Jim Pitts (artist) and Mike Chinn. Why Mike? Because Mike and Adrian have collaborated on a splendid mash-up story in which their “ghost hunter” detectives – Damian Paladin and Nick Nightmare – team up to fight monsters and Nazis. The hardcover will be a collectors item for all fans of Adrian’s work.
- And last but not least, FantasyCon sees the release of a limited hardcover of Bryn Fortey’s well received (as it should be) Merry-Go-Round and Other Words (with additional material).
The Alchemy Press has a few more projects on the go but we’ll wait until next time to announce these.
Meanwhile, Alchemy’s Peter Coleborn and Jan Edwards will be attending the David Gemmell Awards this coming Friday, and we have dealers’ tables booked for Edge-Lit 3 next month.
Alchemy Press books will also be on sale at Let the Write One In on 21 June in the Newcastle-under-Lyme Library, as part of the Stoke Literary Festival Fringe. Let the Write One In is organised by local writers’ groups including Renegade Writers. Free workshops and readings!